The Sacrament of Baptism
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church, and made sharers in her mission:
In the case of infants, the child is baptized into the faith of his or her immediate faith community (e.g., parents, Godparents), the faith in which he or she will mature and come to understand the significance of the Catholic faith. The infant relies upon the ongoing support of the family and community.
Adults and Children (ages 7+) old enough to understand baptism are given extensive formation and instruction prior to their reception of this first sacrament of initiation.
Infant Baptism Requirements:
- To register for baptism and/or a baptismal class, please fill out the baptism registration form which can be completed in our Parish office. If you have questions regarding the registration, please call us at 305-558-2150.
- Upon completion of the baptismal registration form, the parents will be contacted to discuss any additional information, and the baptismal preparation class.
- A Baptism date will be scheduled after the parents and godparents have attended a Baptismal Preparation and documentation has been received.
- Baptisms are held Sundays at 1:30pm.
- Individuals selected to be the Godparents must complete a Baptism Preparation class and have the eligibility form, provided by the parish office, signed by their Parish which indicating the following have been met:
- Godparents are at least 16 years old.
- Received the Sacraments of Baptism, Eucharist, & Confirmation
- Attend Mass regularly on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation
- If married, were married in a Catholic Church.
- If single, they are not cohabiting.
- Are not the Mother or Father of the child.
- Ideally, there should be two Godparents (one male, one female). However, only one Godparent is required.
- As long as one of the godparents is a practicing Catholic, a baptized practicing non-Catholic Christian may serve as a “Christian witness” to the baptism. A Christian Witness is not required to take the Baptismal Preparation Class, but they are welcome to attend.
If you are looking for information for the baptism of children (1st grade – 11th grade), please contact the Religious Education Office at 305-557-2511.
If you are looking for information for the baptism of an adult (17yrs old and older), please contact the Parish Office, Deacon Emilio Blanco at 305-558-2150